Monday, April 30, 2012

Milestone 3

Below are some additional details added on Tanwen that were either not mentioned before or vague in description back in Milestone 2.


Physical Description

They say it's rude to ask a woman her age though I say screw that. Tanwen is 26 years old, (or at least in the illustrations I've done of her like the one above), and stands 5 ft, 8 in heigh and weighs 132 lbs. As mentioned earlier, Tanwen is a human and white as far as species of human goes. Her skin is a bit pale and bears numerous battle scars. Tanwen however is more prowd than she is ashamed of her scars and has no problem purposely showing off much of her skin in general to hint at this along with for seduction purposes and flexibility. While her hair is currently purple, along with purple lipstick, and her eyes pink, these are obviosly not the natural colors for that white humans do not naturaly have purple hair or pink eyes. Tanwens' natural hair color is blond, (or yellow as I'd preffer to call it), and her eyes amber although has had her hair dyed purple for more than several years now and her eye irises tattooed pink, it is not uncommon for some races and cultures of people to do these modifications apon themselves, drow, aka dark elves for example only have white, gray or yellow hair naturally though hair dye is quit common amongst their individuals. Tanwen also often wears a patch eye although this is not because she is missing an eye but rather as a common strategy pirates would often do where the eye they cover with the patch is able to adjust to the dark while their exposed eye can naturally adjust to the light those when finding themselves in the dark would switch or lift their eye patch and that eye would already be ready to see clearly in the dark. Most of the time Tanwen wears her eye patch over her left eye, (left from her perspective). She has a red striped or scar shaped tattoo on the lower half of her right cheek, (again from her perspective).

Computer Concept Art

Adobe photoshop and Illustrator can help you make some really beutiful looking art although it's also all the more time consuming as well. In the past I'd use Adobe Illustrator for the more anime like art I generally do although have recentally been liking Photoshop for its' paint effects. I still do use Adobe Illustrator for part of the artwork though as the pen tool I use when making the outlines is far better in Illustrator than Photoshop. I've done a handful of art with Illustrator and Photoshop and how i do the art has been constantly changing over the years as I keep finding out more and more. Below are a few of the past works I've done with Adobe Illustrator and the changes that have been made to the style.



Above is a Pizzahut add poster I did back when I was in Graphic Design of the anime character C.C from "Code Geass". The outlines are just strokes of differant thicknesses and filled with solid colors. On an upper layer I added more shapes without the strokes and in darker shades and blured for the shading and light effects.



Above is a wallpaper I did in my spare time of one of my favorite anime characters, Sosuke Aizen after becoming hollowfied from "Bleach". I actually don't like "Bleach" at all as far as the story and the majority of the characters go but I loved Aizen primarly for his manipulitive personality and mastermind thinking. Rather than doing the outlines with strokes, I drew out individual shapes on a seperate layer filled in black to act as the outlines as this seemed to add more depth and 3D feel. Also, the coloring this time around was all done by gradient meshes which looked a lot better in my opinion from my previous method of coloring and shading in Illustrator although much more time cunsuming.


Above is a previous project I did in Animation of an older character of mine named Toshiko, a female Asian Human mage. I admit the wizard hat didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. This poster was all done the same way as the Aizen one above although with more gradient mesh shapes and dots which certainally added to the rendor time.

Tanwen Computer Art (in the making)

Getting started is always the slowest and hardest part when making something. As for the computer art of Tanwen I'm now working on, I start by after scanning in the pencil drawing I did earlier and opening it in Adobe Illustrator. After setting up all the layers, I draw out the outlines in Illustrator with the pen tool, using the pencil drawing as a guide. Below you can see some of the progress I've made those far.

Below is a zoom in of some of the outlines selected where you can see how the're drawn with the pen tool in Illustrator. I've been drawing outlines in Illustrator this way for over a few years now and while a somewhat slow process, it seems to bring out the best results in my opinion.

Below you can see the layers of the artwork. It's important to always name your layers in any artwork you're doing in Illustrator, Photoshop, exc. for that it'll help you stay organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment